Travel for Canadians

In order to be readmitted to the US, Canadian Citizens traveling to Canada must be in possession of:

  1. Valid I-20 for F-1 Visa Students. A new Form I-20 or a current Form I-20 which has been signed by an ISO advisor on page 2 of your Form I-20 within the last 6 months
    Valid DS-2019 for J-1 Visa Students. A new DS-2019 or your current DS-2019 Form which has been signed for travel in the lower right hand corner within the last 6 months by your sponsor. If MIT is your sponsor you will need the signature of an ISO advisor in the International Students Office, otherwise you need to contact your visa sponsor.
  2. Valid I-94. (If your I-94 is at USCIS, please see an advisor.)
  3. Proof of Financial Support other than your I-20 or DS-2019.
  4. Documentation of MIT enrollment (letter from department, unofficial transcript, MIT ID card, etc.)
  5. Form I-901 (SEVIS Fee) Receipt

Please be advised that entry into the US is at the sole discretion of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (USCBP) Officer at the U.S. Port-of-Entry.

Canadian "Landed Immigrants"

If you are a "Landed Immigrant" of Canada you may need a valid US visa. Please check with the International Students Office.

Request a Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 with ISO Travel Signature

Students should check page 2 of your current Form I-20 or the bottom right hand corner of your current Form DS-2019 for a ISO advisor signed travel signature. This signature should be dated at least within 6 months of the day you plan to re-enter the U.S.

To request an updated travel signature, visit the ISO during business hours and drop off your most current Form I-20 or your MIT-sponsored Form DS-2019 at the reception desk. You may return to the ISO after 2 business days to pick-up your Form I-20 with new travel signature.

Forgot to pick up your Form I-20 before travel?

Create an express shipping label to have the ISO mail the document to you.

For more information, see U.S. Student and Exchange Visitor Program guidelines on Travel Re-entry for F Visa.


Top of Page