The International Students Office (ISO) serves approximately 3,800 international students who attend MIT, 1100 newly admitted MIT students, and 550+ dependents, and 1,300+ alumni with post-completion employment authorization. The ISO provides the following services:
- Advise on immigration regulations by individual appointment and group seminars
- Prepare legal documents that allow international students to gain work experience through a period of practical training
- Provide forms required by international students and their dependents to travel outside the US
- Process legal documents required for the admission of all international students (including undergraduate, graduate, special, exchange, and visiting students)
- Organize orientation programs for entering international undergraduate and graduate students
The ISO also sponsors events and programs to help students adjust to life in the US and at MIT, and provides counseling related to emergencies and unexpected immigration problems.
The ISO reports administratively to the Office of the Vice Chancellor.
If you have questions about international student admissions, degree programs, billing, financial aid, or housing, please visit those specific MIT pages. For additional graduate student services, see also the Office of Graduate Education and the Graduate Student Council. Please send other questions and comments about international student life at MIT at our contact page.
The ISO's business hours are 9am to 4pm (EST), Monday to Friday. The office is closed Wednesday mornings from 10am to 11:30am.