For Dependents

International students in F-1 or J-1 status may choose to invite their spouse or children to join them in the U.S. for an extended period while they pursue their degree program in the U.S.

When considering whether to have dependents join you in the U.S. for an extended period, a student must be able to demonstrate they have sufficient additional funding to provide health insurance and living expenses for each dependent for their period of stay. Additional living costs, including childcare/daycare costs for young children, can be expensive.  

It is also important to consider, given the busy schedule of being a student, that it can be difficult to balance the commitments of school and family.  ISO staff are available to speak with students as they consider plans to invite family dependents to visit the U.S. 

In order to request appropriate visa documentation for dependents (Form I-20 for F-2; Form DS-2019 for J-2), a request can be made via iMIT, by clicking on “F-1 Student Services” (or “J-1 Student Services as appropriate), and then “Request for Dependent Form I-20” (or “Request for Dependent Form DS-2019”). Instructions including required financial support documentation, marriage license and birth certificates as required to apply for dependent visas, are available on the iMIT eForms. 

Please feel free to schedule an appointment with your ISO Advisor if you have any questions.