Change of Immigration Status

Students who wish to change visa status must either travel outside the US and apply for a new visa at a US Consulate or change their visa status while remaining in the US via a “Change of Status” application.

Newly admitted students who are on other visa types in the US may have to submit a “Change of Status” application in order to enroll at MIT. We recommend that newly admitted students who need to file a change of status before enrolling at MIT call the ISO at 617-253-3795 and make a phone appointment with an advisor.

Students must file an I-539 form to USCIS to apply for a change of status. Please see the Forms section for more information.