Entry to U.S. from Most European Countries Suspended for 30 Days
The United States Government announced that it is suspending entry into the United States for certain foreign nationals who have been physically present in the Schengen area (which includes most European countries) in the 14 days preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States. This restriction goes into effect at 11:59 p.m. EST on Friday March, 13, 2020.
If you are a foreign national (or have a family member who is a foreign national) currently in Europe or planning travel to Europe, please review the following to determine if you/they will be affected by the travel restriction.
Countries Subject to Restrictions:
- Czech Republic
Individuals Subject to Restrictions:
- Immigrants and nonimmigrants who were in one of the restricted countries within in the 14 days preceding their attempted entry to the US.
- There are several categories of exceptions. Most relevant to our community, the restrictions do not apply to:
- US citizens or lawful permanent residents;
- Foreign nationals who have a spouse or unmarried child under the age of 21, who is a US citizen or lawful permanent resident
Please note that even if the new restrictions do not apply to you, you may face enhanced screening at the airport upon entry to the US.
As a reminder, MIT has already suspended all international travel on MIT business or with MIT programs, in step with advice from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, and has strongly encouraged people to postpone all non-essential personal travel. All outgoing international travel must be registered in the confidential MIT travel registry at: travelregistry.mit.edu
Additional information about the new travel restriction can be found at:
- White House: Presidential Proclamation – “Suspension of Entry as Immigrants and Nonimmigrants of Certain Additional Persons Who Pose a Risk of Transmitting 2019 Novel Coronavirus”
- U.S. Department of State Overseas Security Advisory Council (OSAC): Update/FAQ: Europe Travel Ban
- Notification of Arrival Restrictions (designated U.S. airports for entry)