F-1 Curricular Practical Training

Students must not pursue any off-campus employment without proper authorization. Authorization must be received before beginning any off-campus work, internship, or related employment activity.

Pursuing off-campus employment activity without proper authorization could jeopardize the ability to complete your MIT academic program and any future U.S. visas. 

After students (pursuing an MIT degree) have been in legal F-1 immigration status for “one full academic year” (a combination of Fall and Spring terms), immigration regulations allow them to apply for employment in areas related to their field of study through “Practical Training”. There are two types of Practical Training: Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT). This page only refers to Curricular Practical Training (CPT).

Under Curricular Practical Training, all activity pursued must be “directly related to the student’s major area of study” and an integral part of the student’s established curriculum [8 CFR 214.2(f)(10)-(10)(i)].

How to Sign-Up for an ISO F-1 Employment Information Session

In order to apply for CPT, all students must first attend an F-1 CPT/OPT Employment Information Session. If a student is applying for CPT and it has been more than one year since previously attending an Employment Information Session, it is recommended to attend a new session. 

LIVE!!! F-1 Employment Information Sessions for Fall 2021
Thursday, November 4:  7:00pm-9:00pm
Tuesday, November 16:  2:00pm-4:00pm
Friday, December 3:  10:00am-12:00pm
Friday, December 10:  10:00am-12:00pm

Students must sign-up for a session in iMIT (on the main “iMIT Student Services” page immediately after login, the “Events” are listed on the page by date. Click on the event and follow the instructions to complete sign-up).

During the campus closure due to COVID-19, the ISO is making available our F-1 Employment Information Session available online (a copy of the PDF slides available here) for students to review in place of attending an in-person session. For students submitting an I-20 Request for CPT or OPT applications in iMIT, on the eform “Attending the F-1 CPT/OPT Information Session” under the scheduled session date type the date you completed your review of all of the presentation slides; and under ISO Advisor who conducted your workshop please type “Online”

Off-campus employment (including Curricular Practical Training) must be directly related to your MIT degree field of study.

F-1 visa regulations require all authorized off-campus employment be “directly related to the student’s major area of study” and an integral part of the student’s established curriculum [8 CFR 214.2(f)(10)(i)], in addition to other criteria.

The U.S Department of Homeland Security reviews employment by international students with great scrutiny, and therefore all activity must be directly related to the student’s major field of study for the degree earned at MIT.

USDHS, on September 27, 2019, issued Policy Guidance re-affirming this requirement and their additional focus on this issue, including a new requirement that ISO Advisors review employment under CPT/OPT/STEM OPT Extension to confirm it meets these requirements. The ISO had seen additional scrutiny even before this Policy Guidance — with student visa applications at U.S. Embassies/Consulates, as well as applications for employment authorizations and Change of Status (including H-1B and Green Card) with USCIS, be delayed with questions about direct relationship to degree. Students must take great care to be sure the position being pursued under CPT, OPT, or STEM OPT requires their specific degree program and is an application of that degree (not just general concepts or one course taken during a degree program). The ISO addresses this requirement further in our Employment webpages, in our Employment Information Sessions, and in a specific article on this topic in the ISO Knowledge Base. Please feel free to contact your ISO Advisor if you have questions about an internship/training/employment being directly related to your degree field of study.  

Only full-time enrolled students pursuing an MIT degree may receive CPT.

  • Special non-degree students do not qualify for any CPT.
  • Students in NON-RESIDENT status are also not allowed to apply for CPT (enrollment in courses is not allowed during a Non-Resident term at MIT). However, these students are usually eligible to apply for PRE-Completion OPT.

Students have the option of using CPT only before completion of their studies. CPT can be authorized full-time during the annual vacation (summer and during IAP) and part-time (20 hours a week or less) during the academic year in the following cases in which working off campus with a company must be either:

  1. a required component of the curriculum, which all students (including domestic students) in the program must complete
  2. an internship that is evaluated by an MIT Professor, meets the criteria specified below, and is granted academic credit under a specific course number in the student’s major degree requirement AND the course and academic credit must count towards completion of the degree (must fulfill an elective or mandatory credit that counts towards minimum degree requirements)
  3. be enrolled in the specific internship/experiential learning course during the academic term in which the experience is conducted and CPT is authorized (note: some exceptions apply)

Please note that the ISO advises that eligible courses for CPT within a program’s curriculum should, in its description in the MIT Bulletin, include an internship or an experience component be completed for a required component for a grade within the course. Academic programs should feel free to contact their ISO Advisor Point-of-Contact with any questions about eligible courses or as you consider creation of new courses with internship/experiential learning components as it relates to CPT eligibility.

For questions regarding Master’s/Ph.D. Thesis and CPT eligibility, please see the section later on this webpage.

Internship/Experience Subject Enrollment

CPT authorization is granted with proof of enrollment in the required/elective subject under which you are pursuing the internship/experience. Students will need to provide to the ISO proof of enrollment in the subject in the term the student is pursuing the internship/experience.

Students enrolled in the Fall or Spring term for the internship/experience subject will have tuition costs included under standard tuition charges for that term (based on MIT policy). For students enrolling in the internship/experience subject for Summer term, there will be the appropriate summer tuition.  According to the official policy for Summer Internship Subject Only Tuition Charge, beginning in Summer 2018, when the student is not enrolled in any other coursework except for that internship/experience subject, the student will be required to only pay a per unit charge based on the number of units earned for that subject. Students pursuing a non-paid internship/experience can request a waiver of the summer internship subject only tuition charge (with a copy of the official offer letter from the host organization confirming no pay or benefit is being received).

The Registrar’s Office maintains separate pages for Summer Tuition guidance for Undergraduates and Graduate Students.
The Registrar’s Office also maintains a webpage with the current academic year tuition and fees for reference, available here.

CPT Authorization Dates by Term

CPT is granted on a term-by-term basis. The start and end dates of the CPT authorization period allowed are limited by the preceding term and exam period and the official end date of the academic term in which the experience is conducted. Please see guidelines below for the earliest and latest dates allowed for internships authorized by CPT during upcoming academic terms:

  • Summer 2021: May 28, 2021 to August 20, 2021 (Part-Time or Full-Time)
  • Fall 2021:  August 21, 2021 to December 17, 2021  (Part-Time)
  • IAP 2022: December 18, 2021 to January 28, 2022 (Part-Time or Full-Time)
  • Spring 2022: January 29, 2022 to May 18, 2022 (Part-Time)
  • Summer 2022: May 19, 2022 to August 19, 2022 (Part-Time or Full-Time)
  • Fall 2022: August 20, 2022 to December 22, 2022 (Part-Time)
  • IAP 2023: December 23, 2022 to February 3, 2023 (Part-Time or Full-Time)
  • Spring 2023: February 4, 2023 to May 24, 2023 (Part-Time)


  • CPT Authorization Part-time = maximum 20 hours / week, Full-time = 20+ hours / week [Regulatory requirements for employment hours per week referenced here is available at 8 CFR 214.2(f)(9)(ii)(A)]
  • For internship employers that have established intern programs with set/non-flexible dates for ALL interns (international and domestic) that must be completed, where the internship end date must be later than the MIT term end date referenced above due to a student not being able to start earlier given the MIT academic calendar, please have the employer confirm in writing this requirement for ALL interns at their organization. Students must consult with their ISO Advisor on this issue to determine eligibility. If CPT cannot have an end date later than the designated term end date, a student can consider applying for Pre-Completion OPT authorization with USCIS to work, if approved, for the additional time.

How to Apply

In order to apply for CPT, at least 3 weeks prior to the beginning date of employment, submit a request for your CPT Form I-20 online at iMIT.mit.edu: choose “F-1 Practical Training”, then “Curricular Practical Training”.

For the CPT Form I-20 request to the ISO on iMIT.mit.edu, please prepare the following documents.

  1. A copy of the job offer letter from organization or company (see sample letter)
    Fields of information required from the employer in order to authorize CPT include (see also link to “sample letter”): Position title; Start and End Date of the internship; number of hours per week; salary/stipend amount (if applicable); name and contact information (phone and email) of intern’s supervisor; overview of day-to-day responsibilities/duties of the intern; office address/work location address where intern will work; contact information of the individual responsible for the intern program/hiring at the company/organization (if different from supervisor).
  2. Confirmation of (pre-) registration for the internship/experiential learning course for the academic term in which the experience is conducted (for the summer term course registration confirmation, students may first submit the CPT application online and have the new Form I-20 issued on or after May 1st with the course confirmation).
  3. A copy of the I-94 admission record and passport identity page with expiration information
  4. A copy of current passport, including pages with full name, date of birth, passport number, and issue/expiration date of the passport
  5. A letter on departmental letterhead, signed by an MIT faculty advisor, Graduate or Undergraduate officer, program director, or program administrator confirming support for the internship/experience and eligibility for CPT authorization. The departmental/faculty letter must specify ALL of the following:
    1. confirm enrollment in degree program and date/term student began their academic degree program at MIT;
    2. student is currently enrolled as a full-time student and is in good academic standing;
    3. current expected date of completion of the degree program;
    4. how the training/experience is integrally related to the student’s major field of study [NOTE:  if internship/experience is required for all students in the program to complete the degree, please state in the letter; if the internship/experience is an elective, the letter must state that the units/credits for the internship/experience are needed at time of the internship/experience towards completion of the degree and will count towards fulfilling minimum curricular requirements to complete the degree];
    5. the name of the faculty member who will evaluate the work (that name will appear on the new Form I-20);
    6. stating the following related to the academic subject you will be enrolled in for the internship/experience, including:
      *subject number the student will be enrolled in,
      *the academic term the student is enrolled in the subject, pursuing the internship/experience, and receiving the credit towards the degree;
      *how the experience will be evaluated,
      *how many units of credit will be given for completing the experience
      *if the internship/experience required for ALL students in the degree program to complete in order to receive the degree, please confirm this in the letter;
      *how many units you have remaining in your degree program to complete the minimally required units to complete the degree,
      *confirm that all units assigned to the internship/experience subject will count towards fulfilling the minimum requirements for the student to complete their degree;
      NOTE: The units of credit must be given under a specific course number in the student’s major field of study in the term in which the internship/experience is conducted. A student may not enroll in an internship/experiential learning subject in another degree program for purposes of CPT authorization;
    7. Name and address of company/organization, including zip code, where the CPT will be conducted. If the experience will be performed remotely, please provide the address of the company/organization to which the student reports and/or would normally perform the experience if in-person.
    8. Specific start date and end date of the internship/experience (which will be the exact dates of the CPT authorization). The dates must be within the eligibility dates for the specific academic term as listed above.
    9. For Master’s/Ph.D. students requesting CPT based on Thesis course, this letter must be completed/signed by your academic (thesis) advisor and also include the additional four (4) pieces of information highlighted below.

Please be aware that these are federal regulations and the CPT cannot be granted if the departmental/faculty letter does not include all of the points specified above.

IMPORTANT: Students who are authorized for 12 or more months of Full-time Curricular Practical Training during a degree program are ineligible to apply for Optional Practical Training based on that degree.

NOTE: During the duration of both your studies and your CPT, you are required to inform both the ISO and DHS of any address change within 10 days. You may inform the ISO by updating your address on WEBSIS (websis.mit.edu) under the “SEVIS U.S. Address” field. Failure to report an address change could result in the loss of your legal status in the U.S.

As an international student at MIT, you are responsible for maintaining your own legal status. This means you must ensure that you are registered full-time each semester, and that the validity of your immigration documents does not expire. Be certain to report any changes in your academic level, funding, and/or completion of studies date within a timely manner to the ISO. If you allow the date on your Form I-20 to expire, you will fall out of legal status in the U.S. and may suffer serious consequences.

Master’s/Ph.D. Students, Thesis, and F-1 Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

At MIT, some students who pursue a thesis requirement in their program may require employment authorization at a non-MIT employer in order to successfully complete the thesis. Thus, the ISO will consider eligibility for CPT authorization under Masters/Ph.D. thesis credit under the following conditions only (all must apply):

  1. Student has an approved Master’s/Ph.D. thesis proposal by the academic department; and
  2. Location of activity is the only company/organization where the piece of machinery, or access to unique secured data, that is a vital component for the student’s approved thesis is available; and
  3. The company/organization requires the student to be considered an employee, or other category, that requires employment authorization to be on premises to have access to the essential piece of machinery or secured data; and
  4. The student’s thesis advisor must confirm that if the student is unable to pursue this experience at this specified location, the student will not be able to complete the planned approved thesis topic.

Note that each academic department may have their own conditions that must be met for approval. For review of eligibility, a student’s thesis advisor in their Master’s/Ph.D. program should provide the required CPT letter (refer to #5, points a-h), on department letterhead, with detailed summary of the proposed experience and include reference to the four areas above. Requests will be considered on a term-by-term basis, and eligible authorizations would generally be for no longer than two terms.

Students who have received the letter from their thesis advisor should contact the ISO and schedule an in-person appointment with your ISO Advisor to review their request for CPT eligibility under thesis credit.

Ph.D. students approved for Non-Resident Status may qualify for CPT authorization based on Thesis.

F-1 CPT Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Can I pursue both an on-campus Teaching/Research Assistantship and an off-campus internship under CPT at the same time?

If during an academic term (Fall/Spring) you are pursuing a 20 hour per week research or teaching assistantship, or other on-campus position at MIT, and want to pursue an off-campus internship at the same time, students will require approval of their academic department to do so. Generally at MIT, an on-campus position for the maximum 20 hours per week during academic term plus an off-campus internship is not granted, given concerns of the availability of time to pursue both activities and impact on being able to effectively pursue studies and make proper progress towards completion of degree. Please see current MIT policy on the OGE website.

If the student’s academic department feel the additional off-campus internship is beneficial for the student’s academic program, support such activity, and the student meets all other eligibility requirements for CPT authorization, the visa regulations may allow such authorization. Please consult with your ISO Advisor for eligibility details.

Do I need CPT authorization if I am pursuing my internship experience outside of the U.S.?

If you are working for a non-U.S.-based company, paid by the non-U.S.-based company, and doing all of the internship/experience activity abroad (outside the U.S.), then you do not need to get CPT authorization for that experience. It would still be helpful, if you are earning academic credit for the experience, to provide to the ISO for your file a copy of the CPT recommendation letter from your academic department and your internship offer letter just for our records (in case there are questions in the future from USDHS as to why CPT authorization is/was not needed, we have that documentation).

The following are additional important points to confirm if your experience abroad would need employment authorization or not:

(1)  If you are working for a multi-national company, be sure the hiring and payroll paperwork for your position is all being done by the foreign entity.  We have had students who have internship/position offers from companies overseas, but discover that the internship or hiring program is through the U.S.-based office – therefore CPT authorization would be required since the employment status of the student is through the U.S.-based employer (where payroll and tax paperwork, such as the I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification and E-Verify are done for the student by the U.S.-based employer).

(2)  If you are doing any work inside the U.S., including any orientation or training program before or during your internship experience, even for 1 day, you would need employment (CPT) authorization for that experience.